August 24, 2008

Sunflowers, at last!

Yesterday one of my sunflowers bloomed. And today my other two bloomed. I'm very happy that they are blooming because I really love them. Let me tell you about them. 1st, they are composite flowers. 2nd, the middle of the flower is the disk flower, and the petals are ray flowers. 3rd, when they are buds, they follow the sun. When they open, they can't follow the sun. 4th, some sunflowers are very tall, some are only as tall as me (about 4 feet tall).

20 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Great photo, Baby! And good narrating about your sunflowers, too!

Ken said...

Good job on the picture and the information about sunflowers.

Kristina said...

Very nice post. I didn't know all that about sunflowers. Thank you for sharing.

Deanna said...

How exciting for you to have your own blog. I live in Pennsylvania and visit your mom's blog. I have 2 daughters 9 and 11. This is our first year of home school. Maybe you can do a post about why you enjoy home school.
Your blog looks super.

Victoria said...

Great picture - I have certainly learned some stuff about sunflowers which I did not know. Gardening is a great skill to develop!

Tracey said...

Hi Kathryn,
Welcome to the world of blogging :)
I am pretty new at it too. You are doing wonderful! I LOVE your background and your blog name.
That is a beautiful sunflower, you must have a "green thumb" :)
I will be back to visit soon.
Tracey

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love sunflowers but I didn't know that about them - thank you for sharing. I've never grown any but I have a neighbor who has several and I get to see them every day. Blessings, marlene

Rachel Harris said...

Wow, those are beautiful flowers an wonderful pictures! I am really trying to learn how to garden, my girls love flowers!!

Your blog is beautiful and I am looking forward to reading about the homeschool adventure from your point of view!

Have a wonderful week!

Jonnia Smith said...

I just learned something about sunflowers that I didn't know!
Now I want to grow some next year.

Great photo! Lovely polka dotty background on your page! Interesting and well-written blog entries! This has become one of my favorite blogs already. :o)

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, I love your sunflowers. I want my children to grow them too. I did learn interesting facts about the sunflower, thank you for sharing.

I think you and my daughter would get along great. She also is Webkinz crazy! Welcome to Bloggy World!
-- Brandi

Laura said...

Congratulations on your blog, very grown up, indeed. I read your mama's blog (it's emailed to me automatically) and I hope that I can grow sunflowers like yours in my garden next year. Have fun and keep at it!

littletoesandcheerios said...

I think it's really cool that you wanted to start blogging. Looks like you got the gift of taking photos just like your dad, right? Beautful sunflower. My daughter is just learning new words and one of them is flower:) Nice talking with you. Amy

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

Very nice picture Kathryn. I see you are following in Ken's foorsteps.

Barb said...

What a great entry! Thanks so much for sharing your sunflower and what you learned about it.

Sunflowers are some of my favorite flowers in the whole world. They always make me smile.

Thanks for linking,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Jessica White said...

Congrats on your blog!
Great post about sunflowers...they're some of my favorite flowers.

Grammy Staffy said...

Dear Kathryn,
How nice that you started a blog. Three of my grandchildren have their own blogs too. I know that they would love to hear from you and would write you back. If you want to visit them you can link on to them from my blog. Loni is 9, Johnny is almost 12. They both live in Utah.

EJ is 8 and lives in CA. Claire is EJ's 6 year old sister. She doesn't have a blog but if you want to leave her a comment on my posts I will see that she gets it and writes you back.

I love your sunflowers. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Have a good day. Grammy Staffy

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathryn,

I just love your blog. I have added it to my favorites. Your choices of borders and colors are beautiful. Keep up the great work!

Mandy

THE CRAZY ZEBRA PERSON! said...

I relly like your sunflowers.-alex

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,
This is a beautiful picture you took!
I learned much about sunflowers that I did not know from your writing!
I planted some short sunflowers that did not bloom this year. Hopefully, they will bloom next year. They are the type that are only about 3-4 ft. tall.
I have noticed your gorgeous sunflower, and this has encouraged me to plant some tall sunflowers!
I share your love for plants and flowers!
Love,
Ms. Marsha

JMBMOMMY said...

I love sunflowers too!